The publication Travel + Leisure, which is no stranger to Maine, returned this month with a list of what it considers the best 10 lobster shacks in the state known around the world for its lobster.
In no particular order, the travel magazine considers these 10 to be the creme of the lobster crop in Maine:
- Five Islands Lobster Co., Georgetown
- Waterman’s Beach Lobster, South Thomaston
- Shaw’s Fish & Lobster Wharf Restaurant, New Harbor
- Red’s Eats, Wiscasset
- Estes Lobster House, Harpswell Neck
- Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster, South Freeport
- The Clam Shack, Kennebunkport
- Young’s Lobster Pound, Belfast
- Holbrook’s Wharf, Harpswell
- Bagaduce Lunch, Brooksville
Some of those venues are lauded for their lobster rolls, like the Lobster Roll Rumble champion Clam Shack and the James Beard Award-winning Bagaduce Lunch, while others are highlighted for their steamed or boiled lobsters, like Young’s. Still others — like Holbrook’s, with it’s lobster quesadillas — are trumpeted for going off-script and trying something new.
But all offer delicious Maine lobster.
Who did Travel + Leisure overlook? Give us your favorite Maine lobster shack in the comments or on Facebook.